Hello, beautiful people!
Today’s blog is all about hair, particularly the long, mermaid-worthy hair you see on social media.
A few years ago, short hair and “lobs” (long bobs) began making their appearance as trends, but celebs like Ariana Grande are making long hair a trend in 2017.
I’ve been growing my hair out since my Sophomore year of high school, determined to grow my hair down to my hips. Although I’m not there yet, my hair has never been longer.
Today, I’m here to teach you how to grow your hair out with some easy tips and tricks while maintaining healthy hair.
Tips and Tricks for Scoring Mermaid Hair
1. Don’t wash your hair everyday. Some people may think this is gross, but this is the first step to achieving long hair. Washing your hair everyday strips your hair follicles of natural oils that help growth. Washing your hair every 2-3 days is ideal.
2. Refrain from using hot tools. Sometimes you need to use hot tools, and I get that; my hair is a frizzy mess, so I use hot tools every time I wash my hair. However, you don’t need to use hot tools every single day. After you wash your hair, use hot tools, but go the next day without picking up a hot flat iron or curling barrel. Personally, I believe the messier, more relaxed and natural-looking hair is the prettiest.
3. Use coconut oil on the ends of your hair. You only need to apply a TINY amount of coconut oil (the size of a dime) to the ends of your hair. Only use this stuff on the ends of your hair; if you put it near the roots, the coconut oil will make your hair look greasy.
4. Dry shampoo will become your best friend. In between washes, your hair will get greasy, especially if you are just starting to wash your hair every other day. In order to make your hair look clean and non-greasy, I suggest picking up a bottle of dry shampoo. All you need to do is lift your hair and spray underneath the roots – dry shampoo comes out white, so it’s crucial your spray it underneath the roots. After, gently massage your roots, and you’re set to go.
5. Don’t wash your hair with shampoo every single time. I use this trick whenever I wash my hair, but don’t like the way it turned out, or if I want to go from curled hair to straight hair without having to strip my hair of its natural oils. I’ve read of some people who only shampoo once a week and people who have gone years without using shampoo. Obviously you don’t need to go to those extremes, but this trick may work for you.
6. Check out the Inversion Method. I’ve heard so much about this method from the online beauty community. I’ve never had a chance to try it out, but the Inversion Method looks enticing. The Inversion Method pretty much calls for you to take a small amount of coconut, castor or olive oil and massage it on the roots for a minute or two. Massaging your roots helps blood flow to your scalp and promotes hair growth. There are so many videos on YouTube that explain the process in depth, so go and check it out.
Alright, there you have it! Those are my tips and tricks for achieving long hair, and I hope you use them to your advantage. Growing out your hair takes patience, so hang in there!
Thank you for reading.